Museum Of East Anglian Life Map Assignment
Mini Tractors are always a popular choice. The Museum of East Anglian Life is one of those places that are not quite what you expected. As "museum" has a certain connotation, I wasn't expecting to find a nature trail or a playground when I first visited. To read about its history click here. Located in the heart of Stowmarket town centre, and easily accessible by public transport or by car, this is a favourite among families and children of all ages but particularly good for small children. It is FREE for under 4's, for more pricing information check their website. For a map of the site please click here. They also organize weekly activities especially designed for toddlers and their parents or carers, click here for more information.
Here are a few good reasons to take your kids:
- Plenty of open spaces for the kiddies to run around in any weather, on a rainy day bring your wellies! You won't see kids happier than when they're jumping in puddles. The Museum of East Anglian Life (also known locally as M.E.A.L) is one of the biggest Museums in Suffolk, occupying over 80 acres of countryside in the heart of Stowmarket.
- The Osier Café, which has seats inside and an outside area with assigned spaces for children to play. The cafe offers high quality homemade food, including homemade soup, freshly made sandwiches, ice creams and a great cup of coffee.
- Home Farm: The museum holds a small selection of animals to see, such as pigs, chickens and donkeys among others.
- Different buildings to explore, each with activities for children. For instance the industrial zone has a built in "workshop" play area. There is also an activity room at the "Home Close" area of the museum.
- Playground and picnic area with an enclosed space where the kids can play on miniature tractors.
- Nature river trail including woodland nature trail and picnic area.
- Alton Water mill - the children particularly enjoyed "grinding" the corn into flour.
Since pictures speak louder than words, please take a look at the photos below and find out what the museum has to offer for young children.
- If you pay a pound for the car park and take the counterfoil to the museum, they will issue a pass to display for the whole day.
- Take the children in the morning and pack a picnic, I spent most of the day there with my son and his best mate.
The main site of the museum is opened seasonally from March to November.
Discover the history and natural world of East Anglia on our beautiful 75 acre site. Explore nearly 3km of woodland and riverside nature trails. With 15 splendidly restored historic buildings, including the recently restored Abbot’s Hall, you can learn about fascinating East Anglian lives, crafts and culture, on a day out for all the family to enjoy.
"The Museum of East Anglian Life is one of those places that are not quite what you expected. As “museum” has a certain connotation, I wasn’t expecting to find a nature trail or a playground when I first visited". Read our blog here
For admission prices click here
Want to give your child an exciting adventure? Book a birthday party at the Museum of East Anglian Life!
Birthday parties at the Museum of East Anglian Life are action packed and full of fun!
Led by the Museum’s friendly staff, our Birthday parties can be tailored to suit the age and needs of your child.
Lets go on a treasure hunt!
Let the kids get back to nature with a treasure hunt, the perfect way to explore the outdoors with a prize to find!
Making friends with the animals
No party would be complete without a visit to our furry friends.
Plus one choice activity:
- Pond Dipping
- Bug Hunt
- Traditional Games
- Arts and Crafts
- Traditional Printing
- Suffolk Rusks and Butter Making
The party will last 2 hours (including 30 minutes for lunch or tea). Picnic lunch/tea will be provided by the Osier Cafe
£10 per child with a minimum of 10 children per party (£100 minimum charge).
Maximum of 25 children per party.
The party lasts 2 hours (including 30 minutes for lunch or tea)
Minimum of 1, maximum of 4 adults to accompany the party at no extra charge
50% deposit is required at booking – balance payable on day of party
Parties during the winter season (November-March) are only available Monday- Saturday
Cancellations must be made at least 72 hours before the party date; otherwise the deposit is non refundable
Cheques to be made payable to Stowmarket Museum Trading Company
Please ensure children are dressed suitably for the weather conditions. Indoor alternatives of activities can be provided in extremely poor weather conditions; however we recommend waterproofs and wellies for rainy days.
We do not however recommend the party for groups of under 5’s.